For Jacksonville residents who have been married or in a longstanding relationship, it’s almost certain…
Reviewing & Updating Your Estate Plan
Once you have established your estate plan, make sure it stays sound by revisiting it at regular intervals or at key life events.
Many people review their estate plan at a regular frequency, often when they review their whole financial plan. This can be done annually, semi-annually, or quarterly; for estate planning specifically, the general recommendation is at least every three to five years or when there is a life event. You may want to get your attorney or tax advisor’s help.
- The birth or adoption of a new child or grandchild
- When a child or grandchild becomes an adult
- When a child or grandchild needs educational funding
- Death or change in circumstances of the guardian named in your will for minor children
- Changes in your number of dependents, such as the addition of caring for an adult
- Change in your or your spouse’s financial or other goals
- Marriage or divorce
- Illness or disability of your spouse
- Change in your life or long-term care insurance coverage
- Purchasing a home or other large asset
- Borrowing a large amount of money or taking on liability for any other reason
- Large increases or decreases in the value of assets, such as investments
- If you or your spouse receives a large inheritance or gift
- Changes in federal or state laws covering taxes and investments
- If any family member passes away, becomes ill, or becomes disabled
- Death or change in circumstance of your executor or trustee
- Career changes, such as a new job, promotion, or if you start or close a business
Reviewing your plan at regular intervals in addition to major life events will help ensure that your legacy, both financial and otherwise, is passed on in accordance with your wishes and that your beneficiaries receive their benefits as smoothly as possible.
Legacy Planning Law Group has an established Client Care Program which comes with a complimentary 12 month enrollment with most of our Trust Plans.
Here are some of the benefits of enrollment:
ONGOING ACCESS AND COMMUNICATION
Our team members are available to answer your questions or concerns. Reasonable access and communication is available during regular working hours by phone, email or in-person as appropriate, all without fear of getting a bill. We strive for 24-hour response time (except weekends and holidays).
ESTATE PLANNING DOCUMENTS UPDATED
Estate planning is a process, not a transaction. Our firm regularly monitors your estate plan. The only way to ensure that your plan carries out your wishes is to realize there will be changes in your life and the law. Our updating program will make sure that your plan stays current and consistent with your goals when changes occur. You will have peace of mind knowing that your plan is up-to-date. Client Care Program members receive free word processing changes, a 50% discount on amendments and restatements, and a 25% discount on any new planning work or other legal work that is implemented.
DISCOUNTED ESTATE SETTLEMENT PROGRAM FEES
Our unique Estate Settlement Program will be available to your family and loved ones at a 25% discount off our fees in effect at your death.
Your assets are aligned with your trust when the estate plan is executed. After that, we regularly review ownership of your assets and provide you with an annual report to ensure that your assets are properly aligned with your trust, which includes either funding assets into your trust or aligning beneficiary designations with your trust. These reviews can be coordinated with your financial advisor.
The Family Meeting is an opportunity for you to meet with your trusted family members and advisors and explain your plan. You are able to tell your family the how and why of your plan. This provides a forum to address questions and discuss any potential issues. This allows you to set expectations among the next generation which leads to family harmony.
CLIENT EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
Complimentary workshops on estate and elder planning topics are offered to keep you informed on the latest legal updates. We encourage your family members to attend too. We provide eNewsletters and blogs on topics of interest. We also offer complimentary consultations with your successor trustees to educate them on their duties.
- Digital Asset Planning – Complimentary subscription to a cloud-based digital asset management platform which maintains a list of your digital assets and assigns directions for how you want those assets handled after you die or become incapacitated
- Cloud Access to Estate Planning Documents – Complimentary subscription to our proprietary client portal for cloud storage of your estate planning documents. Your family is given 24/7 access to your important documents. You also get a healthcare directive ID card.
- Counsel You on Other Legal Matters – If you have another type of legal matter, we will find another attorney who specializes in that area of law.
- Collaboration with Your Trusted Professional Advisors – Collaboration with your professional advisors to integrate your estate plan with your life so everyone is working together as a team with the mutual goals of taking care of your family.
Read more related articles at:
Also, read one of our previous Blogs at:
Click here to check out our On Demand Video about Estate Planning.
Click here for a short informative video from our own Attorney Bill O’Leary.